Wednesday 13 May 2015

Using Less Product


I've been trying to reduce the amount of product I use, especially when it comes to shampoo and conditioner. I realised just how much I was using when I tipped my empties bag onto my bed and found that 90% of the products were ones of the hair variety. Moisturiser and primer are others I'm generous with, which results in me applying the extra to my neck and chest. In a way, this is a positive, because they're often places forgotten about, but they don't need as much as I'm layering on!

According to certain beauty websites (here and here), you don't need to use as much as you'd expect. I was surprised when I read the amounts, but have been trialing them, and most of them seem like the right amount. Apparently, you only need the size of a strawberry to shampoo your hair, and two raspberries worth for your conditioner. Fruit, money, and the occasional golf ball seem to be the measurements we're going with here. A blueberry amount of night cream still seems too little to me, but I'm getting there. I'm just using a blueberry-on-steroids amount at the moment!

The point I'm trying to remember is that you can always use more if you need to, but you can't put the product back if you pour too much. Well, technically, you can, but it'd be a hassle. I also find that when it comes to shower gels, a body puff is great at making them go further because it really foams them up.

I want to continue being less generous with the amount of product I use because, at the end of the day, it'll save me money. Let me know if you're one to use more than what's needed, and any tips you have for using less product.

3 comments:

  1. I think if I tried to use two raspberries worth of conditioner my hair would be one big matt! Yet I probably use only a pea sized bit of shampoo when I use it, and that isn't every wash. All depends on the hair I think! x

    NINEGRANDSTUDENT: A Student Lifestyle Blog

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love this post! I think shampoo is a tricky one to get right - SLS free ones you generally need more with, plus it varies due to hair length etc, same as conditioner does! Face cream, however, if I use the recommended size blob, my skin ends up dry still - yay eczema prone, dry/oily skin!x

    ReplyDelete
  3. I get through shampoo and conditioner like there is no tomorrow! But I’m defiantly better now at using a smaller amount.

    www.britishbeautyaddict.com

    ReplyDelete

Design by | SweetElectric