Friday 11 January 2013

Favourite Books of 2012

Photobucket

2012 was the year I submerged myself into reading again. I love reading so much, more than ever before. I've just asked for 9 books for my birthday this month. The books above are the ones I loved the most. As you can see, there's quite a few! I will also be mentioning a few more that were either read on my dad's Kindle or were from the library. I won't be giving you the blurbs because this post would be even longer! Amazon and Goodreads should provide you with everything you would like to know.

The Hunger Games trilogy by Suzanne Collins - This was the trilogy that got me into reading again. I think I read them in May and then created my Goodreads account just after. Even though I can't remember everything in them right now, I remember that I love them, and I know that as soon as I start reading them again, the details will come back! This trilogy had a perfect amount of action and romance for me.

The Maze Runner trilogy by James Dashner - I only read this trilogy last month, so my love for it is still fresh!  From the Amazon and Goodreads ratings, I thought these books were going to be good, but I didn't expect to love them. I can't tell you what they're about because it would ruin them for you. As you go through the books with the main character, you learn the answers to so many questions. I think that's why I was hooked - I had so many questions I wanted answering. These books are purely action, and great for both genders.

Divergent and Insurgent by Veronica Roth - The third book is coming out this year! I'm so excited! Here's the basis of what the books are about: They are set in a dystopian society. Within this future society, there are 'factions'. Factions are groups within the society which consist of people with the same characteristics. There are five factions: Abnegation (selfless), Dauntless (brave), Erudite (intelligent), Candor (honest) and Amity (peaceful). Once a teenager turns sixteen, they take a simulation test, which determines the faction best suited to them, and then they have to decide which faction they want to be apart of. Tris' test results show that she has characteristics suited for multiple factions. She's a Divergent. She has to decide how she would like to live her life. Once her decision is made, she is put through her paces to see if she can survive in the certain faction. Corruption then breaks out across society, and the decisions Tris makes from then on will determine who lives, and who doesn't. Insurgent then carries on from this. Society is in a state of war, and you get to see each faction in depth. Again, they are a mix of action and romance, so they definitely kept me on my toes!


Delirium and Pandemonium by Lauren Oliver - The third book is also coming out this year! I love, love, love these books. They're set around a dystopian society believing that love is a disease. The main character also believes this, until she falls in love herself. They do not fall directly under the romance category, especially the second one. They are full of action. The ending of both of these books left me surprised and wanting more.


Before I Fall by Lauren Oliver - I'm loving Lauren Oliver. This book is just beautiful and gets you thinking about your own life. It's about this girl who dies, and then she lives her last day over and over again. Each day, she tries to do something differently to save herself. Putting it like that makes it sound morbid, but it's really not.


Me Before You by Jojo Moyes - Another book that gets you thinking about your life. There's this girl who has a small life, has never done anything exciting and just goes about her days. She ends up working for a family whose son has recently been in an accident and is paralysed. The relationship they develop changes both of their lives. The ending was sad and happy at the same time. It really does leave you with mixed emotions.


The Help by Kathryn Stockett - I was initially skeptical about this book because it was so different to anything I had read before. The reviews were so positive though, so I decided to give it a go. After the first chapter, I was not convinced. However, I continued and really got into it. It gives you an insight to what it was like to be black in the 60s. A truly beautiful story.


Switched, Torn and Ascend by Amanda Hocking (not shown) - I read all three in less than two days. I barely ate and slept! I want to buy these in paperback form soon. It's hard to describe it without giving anything away. I'll just roughly say what the blurbs say! When the main character was younger, her mother believed she was a monster and tried to kill her. Well, later she finds out that there may be some truth behind it. She learns that she was switched at birth and belongs to another species and society. We then follow her journey of learning about this society and her history. Again, this is a mix of romance and action.


Angel and Angel Fire by L.A. Weatherly (not shown) - The third book of this is also coming out this year! I need to buy these in paperback form. I checked them out of the library, you see. I don't know why because the titles and front covers are awful. However, these books are great. In these books, there are angels and angel hunters. The angels are not your typical ones though. They feed on humans. The main character is half angel; something that everyone thought was impossible. An angel hunter finds her, and then you follow their relationship from then.




With the 8 books I've recently bought and the 9 I should hopefully be receiving for my birthday, there will certainly be more reviews to come! What books would you recommend?

5 comments:

  1. Personally I didn't like Divergent or Insurgent, I found it to be a bit childish and the world was poorly created, there were so many holes in the flow of things. And the whole structure of the story was a bit unpolished. And I did not like the main character at all. Especially in the second book when she wouldn't stop whining about Tristan.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aw, I loved them! And even my dad liked them, weirdly enough haha

      Delete
  2. I just recently got a kindle for my birthday so i've been looking for new books to get into.
    I downloaded the hunger games and im lloking forward to them and i have the help too!
    i enjoyed the film so fingers crossed the book is good too.

    x

    Loz│NOIR │♥

    ReplyDelete
  3. I just added so many of these to my good reads account. I'm currently reading Small Island by Andrea Levy for college and am really enjoying it, not my usual read but a really well written story. x

    ReplyDelete
  4. completely agree with maze runner trilogy, my favourite books this year! have you read the matched trilogy as well? I want to read delirium soon

    ReplyDelete

Design by | SweetElectric